Monday, January 30, 2012

Paper book? E-book?

     I do not believe that book lovers should be afraid of electronic books and e-readers.  I love my library of paper books.  I love the smell, the feel and just sitting in my study recliner looking at them in the bookcases.  I take great comfort in there existence and the fact that they are mine! I know how many years I could read before I had to start repeating if I am unable to buy more.  I know which books I would take if I could take only one box full, or an arm full or only two books if it were TEOTWAWKI. (Dear God forbid it! Two books? I shudder.) I find it hard to believe paper books will disappear because of Amazon and the fact that I have a Kindle.
   
    Am I wrong? 

    I have already purchased one of my e-books in hardback because I know it is a re-read and that means I NEED a paper copy. I think I will continue to do so.  I love dropping my Kindle into my purse and knowing I have almost one hundred books at my beck and call with only the touch of my finger. But that is only until the battery loses its charge. I love browsing the free and cheap e-book list that is e-mailed to me each day, but, it is not the same as standing in the used book store breathing in the dust and old paper odors and that 'second-hand-book-smell'. It does not replace the excitement on the face of a grandchild when I say 'Want to go to Barnes and Noble with me?"

    I hope I am correct.

    My Kindle is in addition to, not instead of, and I would like it to stay that way.    

6 comments:

  1. I completely agree. I LOVE eBooks, but I LOVE 'real' books. I've bought a few physical copies of books after liking the eBooks... and vice versa, so I have my fave books always on hand ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for commenting. I think having both is great!

      Delete
  2. I have an eReader solely because the fact that books here (in Australia) are expensive. A paperback will not cost less than $17 in bookstores and some of them cost up to $25! And don't get me started on hardcover. 'Support the Australian economy' my arse. I can't do that if I can barely afford to!

    So I bought myself an eReader (A PocketBook which I love madly!) and saved myself heaps of money. Though I will always buy my favourites in actual book form.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! I had no idea books were so expensive. I would be even more broke than I am. :-)

      Thanks for the comment and I hope to hear from you again.

      Delete
  3. I love this post! I completely agree, with just about everything you said here. I purchased a Kindle solely for the Amazon freebies and exclusives and have every intention of picking up hard copies of the ones I love - and I still plan on purchasing most of my books as hard copies. My Kindle is just one other avenue that I can use to enhance my reading experience.

    Great post!

    Kelly
    Radiant Shadows

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the compliment and the comments.
      I love my Kindle . . .

      Delete