Friday, January 6, 2012

The Dry Grass of August by Anna Jean Mayhew

This story reminded me of The Help and The Secret Life of Bees. Anna Jean Mayhew is in her early 70’s and this is her first book. I am impressed.

     It is 1954. Jubie is thirteen and living in Charlotte, North Carolina. Her family decides to have their summer vacation in Florida, where her uncle lives, and heads south in their Packard along with the family’s black maid, Mary Luther. Along the way 13 year-old Jubie, who tells this story, becomes more and more aware of anti-integration signs and the racial tension.
     There is also the disintegration of Jubie’s family for her to deal with, something that is eased by Mary’s strong, calm presence. Oh, and there is a brief love/friend interest for Jubie, who always seems to come out with the short straw in her family when affection is being doled out to her and her three siblings. The life lessons, historical facts and a story that takes you where you least expect, made this a no-put-down read. 
   
I was a child in the 1950’s. I had forgotten. This reminder of how far we have come as women, as well as with racial civil rights, warmed my heart and then broke it.

I highly recommend this book.
                                         

2 comments:

  1. Dear HerbieGrandma,

    Thank you so much for your kind review of my novel. I really love your quotes from PRIDE AND PREJUDICE and from REBECCA, two of my favorite books. I'm glad folks like you are populating the world!

    A. J. Mayhew

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are very welcome! I look forward to your next book.

    ReplyDelete