Friday, January 13, 2012

Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter by Tom Franklin

A very unusual book . . . in a good way. It was a mystery, but also the story of two very different men who had been friends for a short time when they were children. Silas Jones is the constable in a small Mississippi town and Larry Ott is a mechanic and the local outcast, suspected of the disappearance of a young woman many years before. When Larry becomes the prime suspect in another case, secrets begin to come out, the least of which is the long hidden friendship of a black boy and a white boy many years before.

I enjoyed this book, but not necessarily the mystery part, though there are some good surprises as you near the end. I took more pleasure from getting to know the two troubled boys, who grew up to be troubled men. I also enjoyed the righting of wrongs, maybe after too long, but righted none the less.

This story stayed on my mind for many days after I finished. I recommend it and will read this book again in the future. Tom Franklin is a author who makes you think about what he has written.

No comments:

Post a Comment