Friday, September 23, 2011

Nostalgia

After writing my posting about Nine Coaches Waiting I had a bout of nostalgia. I went to Amazon and began looking up my old favorite books.  This led me to an author I had forgotten about and then to essays and blogs that talked about the change in romantic suspense over the years, and this reminded me of other books and authors I had not thought of in a long time.

The Amazon order was completely out of hand but very bibliophile-like. There were old Gothic novel paperbacks by Jill Tatterrsall from private sellers. I found a book by Stella Gibbons I had never read. I added two Jane Aiken Hodge books I have not seen since High School, also from a private seller, and a copy of Phyllis A. Whitney's Sea Jade, which was my favorite book for all of 9th and 10th grades!

I can't wait to tell my sister! She will be so excited! (She is afflicted too.)

I don't feel the least guilty. I don't have my nails done, often hack at my own hair with the scissors from the bathroom drawer and wear my daughters hand-me-downs, so this is pretty much the only place I spend money.  (Maybe a little tea or an occasional gourmet coffee . . . ) My long suffering husband has moved boxes of books for me, purchased additional shelves and learned to walk looking at the floor in case I had arrived home after a trip to a used book store and deposited my treasures where ever, to be shelved or stacked  in my study later.  It is just who I am and what I do and he loves me this way. Thank goodness!

Now, to Sea Jade.  I remember when I wanted to be Miranda Heath and be lifted from the bed 'quilts and all' by Brock  . . .  

No comments:

Post a Comment