Tuesday, September 20, 2011

I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith

I found "I Capture the Castle" over forty years ago.  How could I resist a book that starts with the narator sitting in a sink? This strange family fascinated me and I grew to love each of them.  Their poverty, the ruin of a castle and Cassandra, our story teller, all drew me in so completely I stayed up all night finishing this book. ( I too had a beautiful sister and waited to be noticed.)

Living in genteel poverty with their eccentric writer father and step mother who was at one time an artists model, they exist with little change or hope in their lives. Until wealthy American brothers move to the estate next door.  Romance! The book is a very pleasant trip to Britain during the time between the two wars. It is funny, uncomfortable and heartbreaking. Mostly it is wonderful!
.
The younger me was a little disappointed in Dodie Smith's ending of "I Capture the Castle", but by my second read of the book, I realized the rightness of it. This is a great book, still . . .  on this, my sixth reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment