Friday, September 16, 2011

Nine Coaches Waiting, et al by Mary Stewart

Mary Stewart's early books, mostly written in mid-twentieth century, are now a slice of the culture. Women rarely wear 'trousers',  people are repeatedly lighting cigarettes for someone else and even television seems rare. I love the trips back in time with the ordinary, but brave, young women who are thrust into extraordinary circumstances. I even like the tidy, but satisfying, endings.

Nine Couches Waiting is the first Mary Stewart book I ever read. I must have been in my early teens and enjoyed it so much I hunted down all the rest of her books soon after. This one is almost a Gothic. There is Linda Martin, the English governess, a French Chateau, Phillipe, her charge who seems to be in great danger and the handsome uncle of the child who drives fast and may not be trustworthy, even though Linda has fallen in love with him. The stuff my romantic youth craved!

I read my Stewart collection again every few years. The Moon Spinner, This Rough Magic, The Ivy Tree, and the rest. I feel these early books were her best.

http://www.amazon.com/Mary-Stewart/e/B000AP6YNC/ref=ntt_athr_dp_pel_pop_1

No comments:

Post a Comment