Friday, November 23, 2012

What the Dead Know by Laura Lippman

    Are you kidding me? Why have I never read anything by Laura Lippman before now? This book was amazingly written. The clues were given to me one itsy bitsy bite at a time. The characters were incredibly original.

    After a car accident, a disoriented woman is picked up with no ID. When pressed, she hints that she is the younger of the two Bethany sisters who disappeared the day before Easter in 1975 without a single witness or clue left behind. When the police begin investigating, she asks her social worker to get her the best lawyer that can be found and begins doling out information that may, or may not, prove she is Heather Bethany. There are many wild goose chases, information that is unverifiable, but most believe the woman is who she says she is.

    But Kevin Enfante, Baltimore police detective, just can not buy it.  He will not call her Heather and he intends to prove she is lying. Where has she been and why did she wait 30 years to come out into the open?

    This story moves from one point of view to another point of view of several characters and over decades. A little over half way through the book, as they search for the still living mother of the two missing girls, we were given a piece of information that caused me to have to rethink all my previous assumptions. That's how this book held me.  Just when I thought I knew, I didn't.

    The story will not leave me.  I rehash it still.  I highly recommend this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment