Saturday, April 14, 2012

Out of Time by Deborah Truscott

     One of my favorite books ever is a time travel book. (The Mirror by Marlys Millhiser.)  There have been others, like Outlander, that have been good, but most miss the boat somewhere.  Out Of Time kept me going and did not cause me to roll my eyes every other chapter.

     Kathleen Findlay has separated from her unfaithful husband and is living in limbo.  Her mother, Lila, is trying to help, but marriage is not her expertise, divorce is.  She's had several of them.  Kathleen is doing her best to keep her two children's lives as normal as possible, even as her own world seems to be falling apart. When her Uncles dies and leaves her his Revolutionary War-era house, it gives her something to focus on.  She will fix it up a little and sell it.  She leaves her children with her mother and contacts a realtor.

     While searching for a rake in the gardening shed, Kathleen encounters a man, dressed as a revolutionary British officer. Colonel Robert Upton has apparently fallen through time. And he has a vague feeling he did not come alone.

     Yes, it is a love story and I found Robert charming. There is a little suspense and was historically well done. This book has a plot that is much more believable than most and characters I actually liked, especially Lila, who was very real to me.  Roberts encounter with the 21st century was often amusing and sometimes thought provoking. There was a point about half way through the read that I had to force myself to press on, but it was brief and the ending of this book surprised me. Kathleen is also very believable as she finds herself.

     A very good romance read.

No comments:

Post a Comment