Wednesday, March 7, 2012

The Reading Slump

All readers have them - the dreaded reading slump.

During a slump, no book beginning catches your interest. No suggestions from friends pan out.  The stacks of books beside the chair (All of them you just had to have!) do not contain a single volume with a back cover or jacket flap that reveals a plot line or character you think you could give a flying leap about.  So what if you have 269 books downloaded onto your Kindle?  They all seem to be BORING.  

This has happened before. During these times I sit around, after the kitchen is cleaned from dinner, gazing at a TV I don’t really see.  I wonder into the study.  I stare at the books.  There must be 1000 – more counting the e-books. None call to me.  I go to my old favorites.  On occasion, I find I can enjoy the familiar lines; I can care about my loved characters. I sit and begin to read. Slump over! Other times it takes a dry spell of several days – a week – two weeks- before something about a certain title or discription of a scene will catch me and I’m off and reading for months!

What ever will work, I need it now. Life is weird.  Nothing is right. I feel as if I have a missing limb, or my best friend has moved away.

All readers have them - the dreaded reading slump.

No comments:

Post a Comment